Children pose many challenges when it comes to taking medication:
- They may oppose having to take a medication in general
- They may have an aversion to the taste or texture of a medication
- Some children have difficulty swallowing pills or capsules
- Allergies to additives, dyes or flavors in some commercially available products are common
- Weight can also be a problem
- Many times, medication strengths need to be scaled-down in order to provide the proper dose of the drug for the child
- “Splitting pills” is not only often difficult, it can result in giving the child a dose of medicine that could be either too high or too low.
- Changing the dose of a drug contained in a capsule at home is filled with danger.
- Many children are afraid of injections.
Since many children have trouble swallowing tablets or capsules, Solutions Rx can work together with your pediatrician to find alternative dosage forms for your child. These include flavored suspensions, lollipops, syrups, lozenges and suspensions. With a choice of many flavors, we can make just about any medication taste better!
Solutions Rx can also compound medications into transdermal creams or gels that can be easily applied to your child for absorption through the skin.
These alternative formulations will likely improve your child’s medication therapy compliance and we know that greater medication compliance leads to improved medical outcomes for your child.
Some Commonly treated pediatric conditions:
- Diaper Rash
- Fungal Infections
- Head Lice/scabies
- Respiratory Disorders